- On December 20, 2016
Driven by innovation and invention, enterprises both large and small are generating remarkable amounts of intellectual assets in the form of patents. In today’s competitive markets, effectively managing patent assets is essential for the successful enterprise.
Tangibles vs Intangibles
The physical and hard assets that drove growth and production in the industrial business world two generations ago are rapidly being replaced by intangible assets that lie at the core of the high tech economy. Machinery and manufacturing equipment are being replaced by software and scientific compounds that underlie our technology dependent society.
- Clearly, technical innovation and intangible assets have become the primary assets driving growth in the knowledge economies in the U.S., Europe and Japan.
- The intangible assets, specifically patents which lie at the core of these emerging technologies, account for a significant portion of corporate revenues in today’s markets.
- Intangible Assets have become the key driver of corporate earnings in the high tech economy.
- According to some experts, intangible assets account for more than 80% of the market valuation of the S&P 500.
- The value of corporate Intangible Assets has continuously increased in the last decades and is dominating the market value of many corporations.
- The most successful companies in today’s competitive markets maintain highly leveraged patent portfolios that support their most innovative products and novel production methods.