Law firms secure your IP interests.
We deliver an IP advantage.
Since our inception, IP Checkups has acted as a IP advisor, developing strategic action plans that meet each business goal. Our consulting team of technical experts and intellectual property specialists oversee everything from drafting technical disclosures to interfacing with, and managing law firms, all in the name of advancing your innovations.
Managing the IP Life-Cycle—without billing by the hour
Your company’s IP interests may seem complex, but ultimately the goal is simple: protect your innovations and avoid risk of infringement.
Our fixed-fee consulting services are designed to serve those needs in the most efficient and effective manner possible, allowing your teams to budget accurately. Because we are not constrained by billable hours, our interests are more closely aligned with our clients’ — we work together to discover and implement the most successful IP strategy given the company’s larger business goals.
Our key services are delivered at a monthly fixed rate:
- Identify innovation opportunities and white space in the landscape
- Evaluate licensing, collaborations and acquisition targets
- Establish the IP strategy
- Support technical teams to ideate on novel inventions
- Elaborate on IP-centric business approaches
- Establish IP best-practices and training to mitigate risks
Law Firm Oversight
- Draft technical disclosures; support legal counsel to align IP with the R&D and business strategy
- Translate legal jargon into actionable recommendations
- Review and support licensing negotiations with third parties
Strategic Planning & Marketing
- Increase valuations, attract strategic partners and support capital raises
- Create easy to digest marketing material that reflect complex issues
- Perform in depth IP, regulatory and market analysis to develop an international patent filing strategy
We work closely with your attorneys so you don’t have to.
We are not lawyers. We translate legal advice into actionable recommendations aligned with your R&D and business strategies. From the earliest lab experiments to product launch, IP Checkups manages the entire process, reporting directly to your CEO, general counsel, or COO/CTO.
From Start-Up to 9-Figure Exit
In 2017, IP Checkups engaged and managed a team of technical, business and legal experts to secure early IP in the white-hot cannabis healthcare space.
In 2017, IP Checkups engaged and managed a team of technical, business and legal experts to secure early IP in the
white-hot cannabis healthcare space. We began by working closely with the client’s domain experts to
map the technology, market and patent landscapes and in 18 months, accomplished the following:
- Engaged two patent agents and outside counsel to draft and file more than 40 provisional patent applications
- Oversaw and advised licensing discussions with several major universities and research institutions
- Introduced and led discussions with highly sought after pharmaceutical regulatory attorneys for industry guidance
- Established an IP handbook — best practices related to email communications, non-disclosures and overall risk
- Created a comprehensive cannabis database, housed in PatentCAM™, to stay on top of competitor activity, industry
trends, and new entrants
- Managed all direct communications and billing with outside counsel
Seed stage funding plus increased valuation
IP Checkups was retained to establish an IP strategy for an early stage digital health/hardware startup with disruptive technology.
IP Checkups was retained to establish an IP strategy for an early stage digital health/hardware startup with disruptive technology. Through our IP process, we were able to attract investors while simultaneously increasing the company’s valuation. Specifically, IPC performed the following:
- Collaborated with four founders to define the market entry opportunity
- Supported development of investor marketing materials
- Devised and executed a strategy focused on patents, trade secrets and trademarks
- Translated early invention disclosures into comprehensive technical specs
- Identified and retained fixed-fee outside counsel
- Acted as intermediary between IP counsel and inventors to draft and file six provisional patent applications and one non-provisional application.